Grade 9 to 11 Teacher at Markham West Campus
About this role
About this role
With over 30 years of success, Spirit of Math is an innovative leader in after-school mathematics education for high-performing students. Located at more than 40 campuses across Canada. From our after-school classes and campuses to our expanding series of math workbooks and training for educators, Spirit of Math is changing the equation for inquisitive minds around the world.
There are three senior math teacher positions at GTA campuses (see work assignments below). This is not a tutoring position, but instead a teaching position for classes of highly motivated and exceptional students. Teachers selected to teach with Spirit of Math are provided with paid training before they begin, as well as ongoing professional development each year that they continue to teach with Spirit of Math.
The ideal candidate is patient, gregarious and highly dependable. You excel at connecting with children by providing a balance of kindness and firmness. You understand the importance of providing children with a structured environment that will facilitate their learning. You are skilled at making others feel valued and included. You are a team worker who has an innate desire to help others develop. In addition to possessing the above traits, you have an eagerness to learn the Spirit of Math method of teaching mathematics. You will be challenged to help students discover the conceptual building blocks and relationships which undergird mathematics. The training you will receive as a Spirit of Math teacher will deepen your understanding of math and stretch your abilities as a teacher.
- Grade 9 & 10 This is a full-time position of 1.00 FTE (i.e. 40 hours a week) with total salary up to $46,870 per year
- Grade 9 & 10 This is a part-time position of 0.33 FTE (i.e. app. 13 hours a week) with total salary up to $15,467
- Grade 11. This is a part-time position of 0.33 FTE (i.e. app. 13 hours a week) with total salary up to $15,467 per year.
Spirit of Math is an equal opportunity employer and adheres to equitable hiring, employment and promotion practices. This position is open to all qualified applicants, including men, women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal persons and other groups protected by human rights laws. We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the application process.
Please note, our school has a mandatory COVID-19 policy in place. As such, applicants that receive a conditional offer of employment from Spirit of Math Schools Inc. will be required to provide proof of full vaccination with a Health Canada approved vaccine. Spirit of Math Schools Inc. will consider individual requests for accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to medical or protected grounds under applicable Human Rights legislation.
The Teacher fosters a high trust learning environment, develops the values and math skills of students and builds strong relationships with parents. The Teacher will be responsible for the following:
- Effectively managing the classroom to maintain a safe, orderly learning environment
- Adhering to the Spirit of Math teaching methodology and administrative system
- Delivering lessons to students
- Grading students assignments, tests and exams
- Building and maintaining relationships with parents
- Addressing issues with students’ performance and behaviour
- Drafting report cards three times per year
- Managing assistant teachers as needed
- Maintaining an up-to-date and accurate records of grades and attendance
- Performing peer evaluations periodically
- Attending professional development sessions several times per year
A degree from a recognized college or university is necessary. A Bachelor of Education degree is an asset, but it is not mandatory.