Competitive Contest Coach for Junior Level at Head Office Campus
About this role
Why Work for Us? Spirit of Math School Inc. is an innovative leader in mathematics education, offering a system of after-school math classes for high-performing and gifted students. With more than 30 years of success and over 9,000 students filling 40 campuses across Canada, Spirit of Math is changing the equation for math minds around the world, with after-school classes, camps, training for educators, and an expanding series of math workbooks.
About this Role. The Competitive Contest Coach for Junior Level is primarily responsible for leading online contest coaching sessions to strengthen their problem-solving skills of students who regularly compete in mathematics contests and guide them to discovering new and challenging mathematics topics. This is a part-time contract position. This position is for 9 months.
Personal Qualities: The ideal candidate is creative, dependable, and has a passion for mathematics and education.
Decision-Making Ability: The successful candidate is capable of independently achieving objectives which demonstrate professional educational judgment.
Skilled Knowledge & Experience. This individual has:
- A thorough understanding of mathematics up to and including the grade 9 level
- Experience with participating in math contest, math circles, creating math contests, or organizing contests
- Experience with teaching, tutoring or coaching students at an elementary or intermediate level
- Confidence with technology. Preferably using the Microsoft Office Suite and with Learning Management Systems.
- Language proficiency: English writing, reading, and speaking
Contest Coach will report directly to the Contest Coordinator on the following key responsibilities:
- Conducting regular classes online
- Leading students through problem-solving strategies to solve questions
- Responding to and answering any students’ questions
- Facilitating students’ discussions
- Preparing for each session before class
- Assessing students’ abilities and adjusting their lesson accordingly
- Selecting content for each lesson and posting weekly problems between classes based on students’ learning needs
- Communicate with students online on a regular basis
- Setting up office hours
- Helping students to work on the discovery topics
- Reporting and providing feedback to the Contest Coordinator
- Other tasks as needed
If you believe there is a strong fit between the requirements above and your qualifications, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for applying however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The minimum level of education that is required is a B.Sc. (or equivalent) or Spirit of Math (SoM) Assistant Teacher Alumni. Current graduate students are encouraged to apply.